Delaware Generating Station
Located on the Delaware River in the Fishtown neighborhood of Philadelphia, the Delaware Generating Station became the city’s largest power station after its completion in 1923, satisfying exponential growth in the demand for electricity. The building’s outsize role in the city’s power grid was highlighted by architect John T. Windrim who created an ennobling Classical monument to electricity and to the industrial and social progress that the Philadelphia Electric Company’s expansion had engendered.
Serving the city until the 1960s, the building remained a landmark but suffered greatly from a general lack of maintenance. As part of a long-term vision for the building’s re-use, Powers & Company was hired in 2015 to nominate the building to the National Register of Historic Places. Successfully listed in 2016, the building’s future rehabilitation is now eligible for the Federal Historic Tax Credit, an incentive that will play a major role in the feasibility of the project.