Federal Cold Storage Company Building
The Federal Cold Storage Company Building was constructed between 1930 and 1931 for the Federal Cold Storage Company. The primary building on the 1.32 acre parcel is 7-stories in height and originally primarily contained refrigerated warehouse space, which accounts for the building’s lack of windows, along with a small office area on the 2nd floor. The secondary annex building is an adjacent 2-story structure, which is located to the north and was also originally used as a refrigerated warehouse. The building is significant as part of the Strip Historic District, which is significant as the heart of the wholesale produce industry in Pittsburgh from the mid-19th century to the mid-20th century.
As part of the HUD funding process for the project, Powers & Company, Inc. successfully completed a Section 106 application for the historic building.