The Fillmore – Ajax Metal Company
Over the last several years, Powers & Company, Inc. oversaw the rehabilitation of the former Ajax Metal Company Complex. The initial work involved the listing of the complex on the National Register of Historic Places, followed by a Federal Historic Preservation Tax Incentives application.
The Ajax Metal Company, built in seven phases from 1899 through 1944, stands on an irregularly shaped lot at 46 Richmond Street. For nearly six decades, the company specialized in the smelting and refining of brass and bronze in this location.
The completed project is an exciting and creative new mixed-use facility with commercial and entertainment spaces, including The Fillmore, an entertainment venue, Philadelphia Distilling, a restaurant and distillery and Revolutions Bowl, a bowling alley. With an investment of nearly $36,000,000, this work not only reinvigorated this unusual historic facility but also brought new life to a declining neighborhood. As the current tenants understood the value of this significant piece of industrial history, the interior finishes reflect its original use with exposed brick walls, concrete floors and industrial cranes.
- National Register,
- Tax Incentives.